Episode 17: Crappy Independence Day 2022
First played on 2022/07/01 16:00 UTC
You think 2021 was bad. 2022 said "hold my beer and watch this shit". Wars, COVID still, racist fuckwits showing their fangs, propaganda wars via the internet, school shootings, a Supreme Court that want to take us back to 1789, and we might all get nuked! Things are so bad that I needed another HOUR to cover them all properly so this is 2 hours long.
Like last year, this is a review from July 4, 2021 until now and this is bleak. At least there are plenty of songs about it because I'm not repeating songs from previous broadcasts (excluding the rough draft). The songs are broken into sections and I've added some explanations when it's not clear why a song is there. Some explanations are thre just becacuse I felt it would be interesting.
World War III?
- Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around
This could also be under religion. Pretty much all of the lyrics are based on the book of Revelation.
- Tom Lehrer - So Long, Mom (A Song for World War III)
Corruption, Division, and Misery
- Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard - It's All Going To Pot
- Discharge - The More I See
Metallica covered it on "Garage Inc.". This is the original.
- Savatage - Stare Into The Sun
- System of a Down - Sad Statue
- Five Finger Death Punch - Generation Dead
- John Prine - That’s How Every Empire Falls
This could also fall under religion.
Religion and Politization Thereof
- Tim Minchin - The Good Book
- Roy Zimmerman - Jerry Falwell’s God
- Poets of the Fall - Sorry Go 'Round
- Metallica - The God That Failed
- Gmac Cash - Coronavirus
Sorry, this is the only coronavirus song I could find. He wrote a rap about the Detroit Lions winning their first game (he's from Detroit) in about a half hour with clips from the winning touchdown catch.
The Great Resignation
- Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job and Shove It
David Allan Coe wrote both this version and his own. David's version has stronger language and he's a racist so I ain't playing that version.
School Shootings and Disturbed Kids
- The Offspring - The Kids Aren’t Alright
- Pennywise - Anyone Listening?
- P.O.D. - Youth of the Nation
Verse 1 of this song is written from the perspective of one of the victims and verse 3 is written from the perspective by the shooter.
Social Media, Political Division, and Culture Wars
- Electric Six - Full Moon Over The Internet
This is sung from the perspective of an internet troll.
- What Fun! - The Right Side Won
This was added because it's intentionally vague which side they're referring to. The same song could be sung by either side, though one would probably be put off that it was sung by black people. It was written about the Falkland Islands War so the BBC banned it for a while. South Africa also banned every song they had because What Fun! contains both black and white members and this was during apartheid.
- Flobots - Handlebars
It's far easier to see in the music video but it's two friends taking different paths on one decision and eventually becoming mortal enemies. It's become that way with politics now.
Racism and Fascism
- Information Society - (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Inertia vs. The Crusher Remix)
- Thomas Benjamin Wild Esq. - Stop Being An Arsehole
- They Might Be Giants - Your Racist Friend
- Rage Against The Machine - Bulls on Parade
This could also fall under the previous section.
- Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
If it's not immediately obvious, it's about police deliberately abusing their power.
- Rancid - I Wanna Riot
This was a late entry after I realized I had Pennywise twice in the show.
- N.W.A. - Fuk Da Police
Now Fix This Shit!
- Public Enemy - Fight The Power
I had to choose between the spoken intro or it being uncensored. I wanted the intro more.
- Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
- Funkadelic - If You Don't Like The Effects, Don't Produce The Cause
- Genesis - Land of Confusion I was really on the fence between this version and the cover by Disturbed. I ended up going with this one to give the tone change a smoother transition.
- Machinae Supremacy - We Are The Ones Who Will Change The World